How much water should you drink each day?

Daily recommended fluid intake (DRFI) is the amount of fluid needed each day to provide for your body’s needs. Believe it or not, the human body is composed of over 60% water making this essential fluid the body’s principle chemical component. It performs such functions as flushing out toxins, transporting nutrients, and moistening airway. In a typical American diet we get 80% of the liquid we need from what we drink. The other 20% comes from the foods we eat. Several fruits and vegetables are incredibly over 80 to 90% water.  

Water covers 71% of the earth and our bodies are composed of over 60% of this liquid.

Factors that affect your daily fluid requirement

There are factors that increase your DRFI. They include exercise, hot and humid environmental conditions, your current health condition, pregnancy, and breast feeding. Health conditions that increase your daily recommended fluid intake are fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is important to understand there are also health conditions that may require you to limit daily fluid intake. These include congestive heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, and swelling in your arms, legs, or abdomen. Speak to your healthcare provider for advice about health and wellness strategies.

Pay attention to body hydration indicators

Lack of water can lead to dehydration and in extreme cases can lead to death in just a matter of days. Thirst is the primary trigger that prompts you to replace liquid that has been lost through breathing, sweating, urination, and bowel movements. You can also use urine color to guide your fluid intake as urine should be clear to light yellow if you have adequate fluid intake. Overhydration can also be dangerous, although this is rare. Water intoxication can lead to reduced sodium in the blood causing seizures and death.

Why water is so important

It covers 71% of the earth and our bodies are composed of over 60% of this liquid. I would think this qualifies it as being quite important and worthy of your attention. It’s comforting to know that even if you do not pay much attention to it, water will give you a friendly reminder by way of thirst to encourage you to drink more. As you get older thirst becomes less prominent and is a primary reason why most people over age 65 are dehydrated. So eat healthy, drink adequate amounts of water, and be aware of your urine color!